Lamb Kofta & Roast Veg
Updated: Dec 15, 2020
These lamb kofta are perfect for babies and children. A great finger food, lunch box filler or dinner. They are packed full of flavour & high in protein & iron.
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: approx 25 mins
Serves; 4 Adults (makes 12 large koftas)
Koftas suitable for freezing
450g minced lamb
1 small onion, finely grated
2 large garlic clove, crushed
1/2 tsp tumeric
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp cumin
14 cherry tomatoes
2 red peppers, cut into wedges
1 aubergine, cut into 1 inch cubes
2 small onions, peeled & cut into wedges
2 tbsp olive oil
cracked black pepper
To serve: (optional)
crumbled feta cheese
natural yogurt with chopped fresh mint
hummus (see recipe)
1. Preheat oven to 200C fan.
2. To make the kofta, break the pitta bread into a few pieces, place in a bowl and cover with some cold water to soak. In another large bowl, place the minced lamb, grated onion, garlic, turmeric, cinnamon and cumin. Season well with black pepper. Squeeze the excess water from the pitta and add this to the bowl. Using your hands, mix everything really well together. Shape into 12 even sized balls and flatten down a little to make them an easier for little hands to hold.
(If making the koftas in advance, you can put them in the fridge until you are ready to roast at a later stage. You'll need to allow an extra 3-4 minutes in the oven if roasting directly from the fridge.)
3. Place onion wedges, red pepper, aubergine and tomatoes in a roasting tray large enough to contain them in one layer. Drizzle with olive oil, season with black pepper and toss well to coat.
4. Place the koftas on top of the vegetables and place in the oven to roast for 24 minutes.
5. While the koftas are cooking, place the couscous in a large bowl with 250ml of boiling water or low salt chicken/vegetable stock. Drizzle with olive oil and cover tightly with clingfilm. Set aside for about 10 minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed.
6. Fluff up the couscous with a fork and serve with the kofta and roast veg. Add some optional extras such as : crumbled feta cheese, mint yogurt, tabasco, hummus and pitta breads.