Buckwheat & Apple Scones
Makes: approx 18 small scones
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 21 mins
Suitable for babies 6 months +
Suitable for freezing
100g buckwheat flour
210g spelt flour
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
zest of 2 oranges
150g crème fraîche
125g cold unsalted butter, cut into 1 cm cubes
4 x granny smith apples, grated (approx 250g)
1 egg beaten with 1 tbsp milk for egg wash
1. Preheat oven to 200C fan.
2. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
3. Combine the buckwheat flour, spelt flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, cinnamon and orange zest into a large bowl and stir well.
4. Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
5. In a separate bowl, stir together the grated apple and crème fraîche. Make a well in the centre of the flour and mix in the apple and crème fraîche until the mixture just comes together. Be careful not to over work it.
6. Turn it out onto a floured work surface. Using your hands or a rolling pin, flatten into about a 1 inch thick rectangle. With a sharp knife, cut the rectangle into 3 lengthways, then cut each of these long strips into 3 and then each piece into two triangles.
(You can freeze the scones at this point and bake them from frozen at a later stage when required. Just add a few extra minutes baking time.)
7. Place the scones on a lined baking tray, brush the top of each one with a little egg wash and bake in the oven for about 21 minutes until golden brown.