This is my moussaka with a twist. I've added in some green lentils - a good source of protein and soluble fibre for your weaning baby. For a bit of a change, I've also used beef mince instead of your traditional lamb mince but use whatever you can get your hands on. Both lamb and beef are great sources of iron for your baby and very important to introduce from 6 months +
Serves: 6 adults
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 1 hr 20 mins
300g uncooked green lentils (could use tin of cooked green lentils)
2 onions, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tsp cinnamon
400g lean beef or lamb mince
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tsp dried oregano
300ml low salt beef stock
3 tbsp flour
425 full fat milk
125g white cheddar cheese, grated
Large deep ovenproof pot/lasagne dish
1. Preheat oven to 180C fan.
2. Place the green lentils into a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and cook for 10 minutes, then reduce to a simmer and cook for a further 15-20 mins. Drain well.
3. Meanwhile, prick the skin of the aubergine all over with a fork. Place on a plate and microwave on high for 5-6 minutes until soft. (If you have time, you can slice the aubergine into 1cm rounds, brush with a little olive oil and bake in the oven for 20-25 mins until soft.)
4. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook gently for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and cinnamon and cook for 2-3 mins.
5. Turn up the heat and add in the mince and cook until browned. Approx 4-5 minutes.
6. Add in the chopped tomatoes, oregano, stock and cooked green lentils. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for 20 mins.
7. Using the saucepan you cooked the lentils in, you can begin to make the cheese sauce. Place the saucepan over a medium heat, add in the butter and allow it to melt. Next stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes making sure not to allow it to burn. Slowly pour the milk into the butter mixture while continuously whisking. Cook and stir until the mixture thickens, about 3 minutes. Add 100g of the grated cheddar cheese and stir well until it melts.
8. Cover the base of an ovenproof dish/pot with half of the meat mixture. Next, layer half the aubergine slices on top, followed by the other half of the meat mixture and then the remaining aubergine. Pour the cheese sauce on top and scatter over the remaining grated cheddar. Bake for 30-40 minutes in the oven until bubbling and golden. Leave the moussaka to settle for a few minutes before serving. Serve with a salad of rocket, red onion and cherry tomatoes.