Fragrant Chicken Fried Rice
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 30 mins
Serves: 4 adults
2 cups brown rice* or long grain rice
2 tbsp olive oil
1 small red onion, finely diced
1 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tsp garam masala
3 chicken breasts, cut into small bite size pieces
2 large handfuls spinach
100g frozen peas
juice of 1 lime
1 tbsp freshly chopped coriander
Dash of low salt soy sauce (optional for little ones)
1. Prepare 2 cups brown rice with 5 cups water in a large pot and cook according to pack instructions (approx. 20 - 25 mins).
2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and then pour them into the pan. Stir the eggs continuously, breaking the egg into smaller pieces as it cooks through. Once the egg is scrambled, transfer to a bowl and set aside.
3. Heat another tbsp olive oil in the pan and fry the onion for 5 minutes until it begins to soften. Add the garlic and garam masala and cook for another 2 minutes.
4. Stir in the chicken and cook for 5-6 minutes.
5. Once the rice is cooked, add into the frying pan along with the spinach, peas and cooked egg and warm for a minute or two. Squeeze in the juice of a lime and stir in the chopped coriander.
6. Taste and season with black pepper and a drizzle of low salt soy sauce. Serve with an extra sprinkle of chopped coriander on top.
* High fibre diets aren't suitable for infants due to their small stomach size and their energy requirements relative to their body mass. In saying that, it's still a good idea to introduce some fibre rich foods in infancy as they are often rich sources of B vitamins, they can help prevent constipation and it may help establish healthy food preferences later in life.