Serves: 28-30 mini 40g fish cakes / 7-8 large fish cakes
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 15 mins
INGREDIENTS 500g cod or hake (bones & skin removed)
600g rooster potatoes
3 spring onions, finely chopped
2 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
zest of a lemon
50g grated parmesan cheese
freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp olive oil, for frying
1. Peel the potatoes, cut into 2cm chunks and cook in a large pot of boiling water for approximately 10 minutes until soft. Remove from the heat, drain and mash very well making sure there are no lumps.
2. Pour the milk into a large saucepan and place the cod fillets in the milk. Bring to a simmer, then turn the fish over once the milk comes to the boil. Turn down the heat and cook for a further minute. Remove from the heat once the fish is no longer opaque in colour.
3, Flake the cod into the mashed potato. Then add the spring onion, parsley, lemon zest, and parmesan and season well with freshly ground black pepper. Stir very well to combine.
4. Before you shape and refrigerate the cakes, fry a small piece of the mixture, taste it and season it with more black pepper if required. If it's too sloppy, add a little bit of flour.
5. Dust a plate heavily with flour. Divide the mixture into 4, then shape into either large patties (150g) or small patties (40g) and dip each one in the flour to coat on both sides. If you're going to freeze them, wrap them in clingfilm at this stage and place them in the freezer. (Make sure to label and date them). Otherwise pop them in the fridge for 30 mins - 1 hour before cooking.
6. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large non stick frying pan over a medium heat. Fry each fish cake for 3-4 minutes on either side until crisp and golden. Serve