3. Combine the buckwheat flour, spelt flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, cinnamon and orange zest into a large bowl and stir well.
4. Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
5. In a separate bowl, stir together the grated apple and crème fraîche. Make a well in the centre of the flour and mix in the apple and crème fraîche until the mixture just comes together. Be careful not to over work it.
6. Turn it out onto a floured work surface. Using your hands or a rolling pin, flatten into about a 1 inch thick rectangle. With a sharp knife, cut the rectangle into 3 lengthways, then cut each of these long strips into 3 and then each piece into two triangles.
(You can freeze the scones at this point and bake them from frozen at a later stage when required. Just add a few extra minutes baking time.)
7. Place the scones on a lined baking tray, brush the top of each one with a little egg wash and bake in the oven for about 21 minutes until golden brown.